This morning it occurred to me my car almost didn’t start. The battery seemed almost dead. It couldn’t be the battery itself since it is about a year old. When I was thinking about it, I did noticed a low voltage in my battery before. It had to be standby problems with some device in the car. Today I pulled one of the battery leads and put an ampere meter in between.
I use the radio in the car mainly for APRS and some chatting on our international repeater PI2NOS. Clicking off the contact, there was stil running about 2 amps! The only thing that has it’s direct connection to the battery is the TM-D710. I pulled the display plug from the TM-D710, the current was still flowing. When I pulled the plug on the main unit, the current was gone. Connecting the main unit, no current. When I put the radio on with the display and turned it off again, there was the 2 amps of current again.
APRS drains battery
The other day I forgot to turn off the Kenwood and it runned APRS for a whole weekend at full power. On monday my battery was completely drained. But that didn’t surprised me at all. But when I switch off, I expect the radio to drain no current at all.
So it seems like there is something hanging in the TM-D710 main unit which prevents it from shutting down. Also there must be. something wrong as 2 amps of current in standby modus is way to high. Even in receiving modus the TM-D710 should use that much current. I will disconnect the rig from the car for now and take it to the club on Thursday. I hope I can find what is wrong with it.